The E38 was offered with armored models.
– “Security” was the heavy-armor version and was only sold in European market.
– “Protection” was the light-armor version and was available in the US market.
The production code is embedded in the VIN. For example, the first E38 we bought was a 1998 740iL with VIN WBAGJ8321WDM19383.
– For the “protection” 740iL models, all of which had the M62TUB44 engine:
– For the “protection” 750iL models, all of which had the M73TUB54 engine:
Features of the “protection” models included:
– Aramide body armoring front (foot-wells, doors, rear bulkhead and wheel housings)
– Bullet-resistant windshield, door windows and rear window
– Electrically heated windshield and front door windows
– Moonroof delete
– Ski bag delete
– Modified suspension with electronic dampening control and self-leveling rear suspension (a.k.a. adaptive ride package)
– Run-flat tires on special 17×8 alloy
– Rear windows do not lower
– Center seat belt removed